Thursday, May 31, 2012

That topic no one wants to talk about....but most people think about...

Yep... I'm referring to weight loss.... Sure, I loved to talk about it... when I was losing weight.... This week makes it two years since Chris and I made a great decision and hired a personal trainer. Tonya was amazing for us. Revolutionary, I dare say. We both lost oodles of weight in a relatively short amount of time. No gimmicks, no pills, no magic. Lots of sweat, hard work and healthy eating. Even after we parted with Tonya (and saved our money for ourselves) we were both able to keep the weight off... until I got pregnant. Then I daresay I took the 'eating for two' a bit too literally... I plumped right up, but since I was pregnant, people just thought it was that 'cute baby bump'. Well ok people, that baby has come out... but that baby bump ain't gettin' any smaller...

While I was off on maternity leave I didn't worry about it too much, people kept telling me that breastfeeding would like suck the weight right off, um no not for me. I didn't exactly help it out either. I mean new baby, tired, don't want to cook, you eat out, and eat yummy stuff because after all you're working so hard raising that baby that you deserve to eat that oreo, or ice cream, or burger...

Then in January getting back to work, Chris and I decided we better work at it, neither of us was feeling good about ourselves... so we took the work outs we had done with Tonya, and started doing them ourselves. Easy right... I was doing my workouts at 4:30am because that was the only time that I felt like I could. Afterall, working all day, by the time I got home, I wanted to be with my little family. So that worked really well in January. We were tracking our food, doing the workouts, and losing weight again. I was feeling great about it... Then I let that 4:30 alarm clock snooze a few too many times and I fell right out of that habit again... ugh!

Well now it's June... what happened in between... a few failed attempts at new workouts, a few rounds of 'we should not go out to eat' and a few more pounds crept back on...

Why can't I be one of those people that craves only healthy food... or can eat whatever she wants and not gain an ounce. I swear I can think about a burger and feel my thighs getting bigger. So now I'm at that point where I feel icky about myself again and want to change... will it work? No idea... but at least I have documented it and can feel guilty if I don't do anything about it...

We're going to join Firstenburg Center for the summer months. Its not super convenient, across town, but it has a fun pool that we can take Peyton to during my time off. Plus with my summer time off, it's ok for the gym to be inconveniently located, because I have the extra time. It's about making the habit of working out again. As I have posted on FB, it always feels wonderful when you're done, and losing weight always puts a smile on my face. I've got some clothes from Pre-Peyton that I would like to look good in again... so here's hoping it works again... (PS, I write this all sweaty, because I just ran a 10 minute mile, just to see if I could.. one mile, but I did it... that's a start right?) I don't mind the working out... really it's not that bad... it's the YUMMY food, that I feel like I can't have... how to get past that...

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I can finally see your blog again! I had to delete "following" the last one and re-add you. It worked! Although - where did "Peyton's birth story" go? I wanted to read that one and its no where to be found on your blog. Btw..Yes, very strange that we both posted about weight on the same day. Good luck with this. I'm trying to do the same. I just like cake and cookies too much. Its too hard to give them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Jenni. I've always faced the same struggles. I basically put on 5 pounds the second I stopped nursing. And I didn't find time to exercise until after I was done nursing, either. It is so hard to find the time. I jog on my lunch hour because it's the only time I have available now that I don't have to use the hour to pump! Still haven't lost the weight I put back on, though, because I LOVE FOOD (more than I love exercise). Good luck lady! We can go through our stuggle together! :) Just keep in mind that you have come a long way from a few years ago and I think you still look great!!

    ReplyDelete