Saturday, April 20, 2013

An Update on the Family... not just Peyton :)

While Peyton certainly is a bright light in my life, there are probably a few updates I could provide that involve Chris and myself...

Ok well first off, I am stoked that I have just one week of classes left in this term. I think I last left a cliffhanger out there around new years about what I was doing in terms of my admin program. Well, I jumped in and took two classes. I was in school Wednesday and Thursday nights from January through next week. I took a law and finance class. They were both great and the work load, while great, was manageable for sure. I will be glad to regain some evening time though :)
Along those same lines, I interviewed and was accepted through the district to do my admin internship next year. I don't have many details yet, but hopefully I will be here at iTech with Christina. That's at least what we're planning. The district doesn't accept everyone, so hopefully I have a good chance at a job at some point, though I am not in a super rush.... In the fall, I will have one class left to take in addition to my internship work. Both the class and the internship are rumored to be a TON of work, so I may need copious amounts of chocolate and wine to make it through, but I'll get through :)
I can't believe I am almost done with my first year at iTech. We have done a ton of great work and I am proud of that, and we have some great ideas for next year as well. I am so thankful to have had the opportunities this year that I have. I LOVE middle schoolers. They are perfect for me, and I know that takes a special person to say that... (or perhaps a little on the crazy side... which I am sure is more correct).
Other than work, I don't do much outside of family time... I did do a weight loss competition with some co-workers from January-March where everyone puts up $100. If at the end of the set time, you lose 7% of your body weight you get your money back, if you don't.. those that do, get to split your money. I got mine back and I made $40 off of some people in Texas that my co-worker Becky had in the competition with us. It was great! I also completed Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. It's a 90 day program and I actually did it all with minimal misses. I love the program ( repeating it) and it's the first program that I have actually stuck with! Since January I have lost about 15 pounds, and I know I have developed some muscle in there too! I am doing Jillian again, but I haven't been as good as I was the first go round, but hey I need to remember that I aim for 7 days a week exercise, if I miss one or two, that's still 5 times a week and that's more than many people right?!
Still loving my various friend groups and I truly cherish the time that I spend with them. It's hard to do stuff without Peyton though because my time with her is already limited because of work and school that I think it is unfair to choose to be away from her any extra time. That's why I am so thankful to have friends with kids in the same age range. It's great to see the kids starting to play around each other (they won't really play WITH each other for quite sometime yet, developmentally).

Now Chris... most recently, his pool team came in second place (missing first by only 3 points!) in the spring league. They start playoffs this week and if they win they will play in the regional tournament (Tri-Cup) in June-ish. They have been to this before and took home... second I think... from that. It's nice to see them having a great season and hopefully I will have good things to report sometime later...
Chris's work schedule recently made a bit of a change. He was asked to train to be a 'lead' truck driver. This means that on certain work shifts he will be one of the lead guys that puts together a bunch of the necessary paperwork for the night. For us this means that two nights a week he now works at 9pm instead of the original 11pm and during those extra two hours, he gets paid at a higher rate. It's nice that Chris is getting recognized as a hardworker when he's only been on this job for 4 months. I mean, I know how hard he works :) I'm not sure there's  really a 'next' step after this upgrade, but we'll see. Chris just really likes that this job now provides benefits (woohoo!!!) and allows him to stay home with Peyton during the day while allowing us to pay the bills :) Plus he now acrues time off, I had almost forgotten what vacations were!

We got to go out on a date day last weekend (thanks mom) and we ended up doing some wine tasting in the Portland area. Little did I know there are several wineries/tasting rooms in the area! We typically go out the Gorge. We bought a little passport (20 bucks) and it waives the tasting fees at all of the wineries inside. I think there aer 7. We visited three in the afternoon that we went out. We certainly have another date saved up in there :)

That's probably about all for us... just thought people (as if I have people) might want an update on someone other than the wonderful Peyton (yeah right :)

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the updates on you guys as much as the ones about Peyton! :) I love that you write these. It helps me feel like a part of your lives even though I am so far away (though hopefully not for long...still hoping to get Derick to move out to Vancouver or Portland sometime in the next two years).

    ReplyDelete