Thursday, April 4, 2013

Holm's visit the farm :)

I had forgotten what it was like to go on vacation! I mean yes I did travel a bit last summer, but that was work related. Other than that, for the last two and a half years, we hadn't travelled further than we could return in one day due to Chris's work schedule.

So you may not see this so much as a 'vacation' but it was blissfully relaxing and a great way to get out of the house.. .and on a budget no less!

We went over to the Yakima Valley to visit the Schilperoort's! (That is... Julie, Landon and the crew). We left WAYYYY too early for the first day of vacaction (um I was up at 3:30am showering for a 4:30 pull out) ew! I drove over in an incredibly quiet ride as Chris and Peyton slept. We arrived in time for breakfast.

Then it was time to go to the farm. Julie and Landon recently purchased a 100 acre farm, so we went to see how things are going. I might be off on my facts a bit, but from what I recall, 60 acres are cherries some bing and some rainier. the other 40 were recently cleared and wheat was planted. They have a tractor and we went for a ride. Chris's secret desire is to become a farmer I am sure! Peyton was less sure of the tractor. She was ok for the long ride out... but of course she decided she was done as we were furthest from the car... I made her tough it out and ride back (screaming most of the way). I think she was scared of the noise and motion.

Then we went to Julie's in-laws where there were BRAND new baby sheep born that morning, SO cute! We also saw a totally pissed off turkey, and some horses.

After that we went to meet Landon for lunch in a diner. We haven't taken Peyton to many restaurants since she likes to move so much. She did great!

Naps for everyone, followed by a trip to the park. Now the parks in the valley have gravel for the 'ground' around the play structures... this was the best feature of any park we could have visited. Peyton is in LOVE with rocks right now...

The next day, we toured 3 other parks, played games, and had dinner at Bob's burgers and Brews. Again, Peyton did wonderful! (We may be able to visit restaurants again, instead of just getting take out!).

Some highlight features include Peyton getting to practice so many farm animals, watching Peyton interact with family, and just relaxing away from home. Peyton was able to sleep in an unfamiliar place just fine. This was definitely a slight concern since she has slept in her bed almost exclusively since she was born (except a few naps at my mom's).

Before we left on Wednesday, we visited one more park (making for 5 different parks in 2 days), watched Julie's fish awhile longer and then we packed the car to head home.

Now we tried to time it so that Peyton would be ready for her nap when we got on the road... yeah... about that... She spent the first hour babbling and blowing spit bubbles (effectively soaking her shirt, ew) we stopped in Goldendale and she finally settled down to sleep just outside of the Dalles and got about 1.5 hours of sleep in the car.

Overall, a very successful trip, I'm glad we were able to spend Chris's days off and my spring break together with family :)

Photo Story :)
 Peyton sittin' on the tractor... I should have known from this face that she wasn't convinced it was a good idea..
 Pretty Peyton in her wagon ready for an adventure on the farm, waiting for daddy to get his tractor lesson from Julie.
 Daddy and Julie conferring about the operation of a stick shift tractor :)
 Here we go! Daddy the farmer
 This really captures the moment if I do say so myself, the trees on the right are the cherry trees, getting buds. Bees were brought in the day after this to get to pollinating!
 So this is at the top of a hill overlooking the farm. Julie and Landon have dreams of building a house up on this hill. Peyton was thankful that the tractor ride was over for now..
 Family picture! on the hill mentioned above. The farm is down there somewhere...
 In the above shot, we're on this rock... Now Peyton decided to climb the rock, in this picture, I have just discovered bird poop on Peyton's butt as I reached down to help her up onto the rocks... eww!
 See the tears? This is on the way back down to the car, Peyton was a sad baby!
 Aww much better, I like the quiet orchard and standing on my own feet!
 Even when you're sad, you're adorable!
 Daddy livin' the dream! I'm going to send him back up there in June to help harvest cherries!
 Remember the sheep mentioned above... these are them, born just that morning! fun fact, these sheep have hair not wool... making them essentially decorative/pet sheep, since the Schilperoort's have no use for them... The flock sure has grown though!
 Horses! On Wednesday we went to visit all these animals again before leaving. That time the horses actually came to say hi and Peyton got to pet them!
 Tom the ugly and really mad turkey. He's super puffed up, who knew they could do that?! He was supposed to be last year's turkey dinner, he's still here, how can he complain... Peyton thought he was a rooster so she 'cock-a-doodle-do-ed' each time she saw him.
In case you weren't convinced that Tom was ugly...
 
Well there you have it, The Holm Family finally left Vancouver! Boo missed us terribly and was happy upon our return, Peyton did great in the car, and I look forward to more trips this summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment