It is one of my aspirations to become a school principal, or do some sort of educational administrative work. Knowing that is one of my goals, I knew that I needed to work on getting out into other schools to gain some experience in different school settings. So alas, this year I put myself on the PIR (our district's way of changing school settings for current employees). I decided that I would try my hand at middle school. So I signed up to teach at three different middle schools and as it turns out I am qualified to teach many subjects at the middle level (who knew!) Then the waiting began.... wait and wait and wait to hear which principal has a spot for me...
In the mean time, I had been hearing about this new school our district was opening, a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) focused school. Now it is called Vancouver iTech Preparatory. So, slowly but surely information was coming out about that school. They would eventually become a 6-12 school, but were opening with grades 6-7 and 9-10. I thought... this could be good, heck I will apply. When the application and job description came out in March, I worked very hard on my cover letter and resume. Debra helped to be sure it covered all my finer points, and off it went. About a week later, I was emailed saying I had an interview! Wow, that was something in and of itself! Lowly elementary teacher being given a shot at middle school!
So I had about 2 weeks before the interview because of spring break. This allowed me to finesse all my ideas into some coherent thought. I bought a new button up shirt and suit jacket. I walked in there as prepared as I could, and off it went.
The interview was pretty intense with many very wordy questions. I was taking notes as they asked them, so that I could be sure to answer all parts of the question. I was interviewed by three women, one being my future boss, a current middle school principal, and a district curriculum rep. I thought the interview went really well. I couldn't have left happier! I knew that even if I didn't get the job, I had done the best I could.
Of course after all is said and done, you OF COURSE think of other 'better' examples of this or that, but still, I knew it had gone well.
Now more waiting....
No comments:
Post a Comment