Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Oh my Logan!

I hate to be 'that mom' of the seccond kid who apparently gets left out and forgotten unlike the first child... however it appears that is exactly who I am! Not that I've forgotten Logan, but I certainly haven't blogged about Logan like I did Peyton. I'm going to try and catch up some...

Ok here goes...
Logan was due to be born on November 9, 2014. I, being like I am was planning on working right up until he came.. I did. I was working on October 29th, at a training actually. The day came and went, nothing special. In the evening, nothing weird. At one point around 8pm I sneeze and in true pregnancy fashion, I thought that I had peed a little... I tried going to bed around 10 something. I slept for a little bit again, but I woke up about 11 and I was wet you know... down there... I surely did not pee myself while sleeping... (at least I hoped not!). So I got up, but unlike the movies, someone's water breaking is not exactly dramatic and I just wasn't convinced, but over the course of about an hour, I became more sure, so I called my mom to come hang out with Peyton and took a quick shower. By the time we checked in at Legacy, I left like a puddle at the check in desk (um eww!). Got all checked in and they set up a monitor and by this time it was well after midnight. Nothing important was really going on, so Chris and I went to roam the halls. We discussed names as Logan didn't exactly have a name yet... We went back to the room at like 4ish to try and rest. Since no contractions or anything had started, we decided to start Pitocin, but on low. It was uncomfortable, but not intolerable. I couldn't really sleep well though. Over the next few hours, they continually upped the Pitocin. By about 10:45 or so, I was ready for the epidural. The nurses said, perhaps then I could get some rest. The epidural was fun this time. I got the play by play verbal description of the process, because there was a nurse learning about epidurals. In addition to that, it took 3 different pokes to find the right spot. I can clearly remember (9 months later now) the anesthesiologist stating 'well with shorter people sometimes you have to poke around on the bone a bit and kind of 'walk' the needle off the bone until you get to the right space' Eekk!
So epidural finished about 11:30ish. Gonna rest, everyone leaves... Except, I still have this consistent pain, almost like someone punching you, then waiting a few seconds and doing it again, in the exact same spot. We call a nurse back, and she decides to 'check me.' Now before I got the epidural, I was like a 3 or 4, something piddly.... So back to the nurse coming in, she checks me and is like 'Oh, that's his head right there!' So they gather the troops back into the room, and turns out, it was his head that was the pain I was feeling. It took a few pushes and Logan Raymond was born at 12:25 pm, probably 15-20 minutes after starting pushing, maybe less. I'm very thankful that I have been blessed with having two experiences with birth that were relatively pleasant all things considered.
   So Logan was born and he cried for quite some time. The people worked on cleaning me up. After about an hour we decided on Logan (it was either that or Landon that we had it narrowed down to). After awhile we had to move to our post-partum room. I was able to walk myself and push Logan in the little crib thing. We ate, hung out and I think slept. Peyton came with my parents in the early evening, and my sister Megan came for a few minutes too. Other than that, we rested.
    On the morning of the 31st we started working on the check out list. There are certain things for mama and Logan to do. It definitely took time, but we were able to leave midday. I am pretty proud of the fact that I was even able to go trick or treating with Peyton and Logan that evening. We only went to a few houses, but still, I had just had a baby like 24 hours before!

SO now we're home...
     Chris was able to take about a week off. Then he returned for about a month, then was done for good.
   Logan was a bit.... difficult.... He didn't particularly like being put down, so we pretty much held him for the first 6-8 weeks. It was a lot of sleepless nights, frustration, and learning. We did learn at Logan's mother/child visit at 3 days old, that he had broken his clavicle in birth. He had x-rays, etc and we got an ace bandage out of the deal that we never used and pretty much told that it was a common break and would basically heal itself as long as we tried to not lift his arm too much. So, that was fun...
   So Logan was pretty cute, ate fine, and slept ok once he was in the pack and walked/rocked to sleep. It was tough, not  gonna lie. I did get lots of steps in the middle of the night to track on my fitbit. I felt like we tried EVERYTHING to get that kid to sleep. I swaddled, didn't swaddle, pacifier, no pacifier, rock to sleep, set down, he'd ake up. I even tried to have him sleep in my bed next to me, no dice. Finally in December, while at our Christmas party with friends, we talked to friends that had a super fancy baby swing, the mamaroo. It was a literal LIFESAVER! Sure, Logan was swaddled, pacifiered, swing moving, noise maker on... so high maintenance. But at least there was sleep for the Holm house.
   Next hurdle... Logan would NOT take a bottle. We tried about 4 different ones and he just wasn't having it. So during all of htis, I couldn't leave the house for more than an hour or two. I finally had a break through by going to Babies R us and finding a bottle that was made by the same company of the pacifier that we were shoving in his mouth. It was yet another small miracle. And not a moment too soon. I think we finally got that figured out about 5 days before I went back to work.

This is so long, if you've stuck through good for you.
Obviously with Logan being 9 months old now, I can't remember in detail all the cute and amazing things he's done.
He loves going on walks in the stroller. In fact, I think that we've used the stroller WAY more with Logan than we ever did with Peyton. He is certainly eating like a champ now. Still lots of baby food, but some other foods. He's on formula now, and has been since about six months. He sits up really well, and is working on positioning for crawling. He'll stand when you hold him. He doesn't have any words yet, and does some babbling, but most days, he's not all that talkative.
   This lead to a small scare(at least for me) at his nine month dr appointment. He was 'behind' according to his peeers and enough so that we were referred to see a specialist for gross motor and communication. The dr wanted him to be at least further screened. We did that, and turns out... Logan seems fine, at least at this point. He's a bit behind (for example, he wasn't sitting up until about 8 months which is a 6 month marker). However, he's progressing just fine.

  I think that's about all I can squeeze into this blog. Maybe I will get a bit better...maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment